Red Lentil and Aubergine Curry
This is a super easy one for the slow cooker or stove top, I like it served on steamed cauliflower with a spoonful of Harissa paste on top!
- 1 aubergine
- 150g red lentils
- 1 tsp chilli or 1 bird’s eye chilli (just remember it is in there!)
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 cups water or vegetable stock
- Bayleaf (can be left out if using stock) just remember to fish it out before serving!
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (dry fried til they pop)
- Pop it all in the slow cooker on low for about 8 – 12 hours.
- Ground seaweed flakes or sea salt and black pepper to taste
Another super easy one for the slow -cooker – enjoy
- 1 tin of jackfruit
- 2 sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 red onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1.5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tsp paprika
- Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker along with apx 4 cups of water – so all the contents in the cooker are covered
- Cook on low for apx 8 hours
- Seperate the chunks of jackfruit into chunky strands with a fork before serving
- Serve with mash, rice of warm crusty bread
- Ground seaweed and black pepper to taste
Warm and satisfying, this soup is great for any occasion. This make a large batch so you may want to halve it! You can also leave the oil out and just pop it all in the slow cooker adding the spinach at the end
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
1 tablespoons fresh ginger root, minced
1–2 drops Lemongrass essential oil
4 tablespoons tomato paste
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 cups vegetable broth
2 cans coconut milk
4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
3 cups dried red lentils
4–6 handfuls baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
Tip: Add some brown sugar for a sweeter curry taste.
Heat 2tsp water over medium heat; add onion, garlic, and fresh ginger. Cook until onion is translucent then add carrots and sauté 5–7 minutes.
Add tomato paste, curry powder, and red pepper flakes; cook for another 1–2 minutes stirring constantly until all vegetables are coated and flavors combined.
Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, diced tomatoes, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil on medium high heat; reduce to simmer (low heat).
Add Lemongrass essential oil and cook for approx. 30 minutes until lentils are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add spinach and stir until wilted.
Garnish with 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro and 1 tablespoon sour cream.